Sunday, December 29, 2013

Next project up: Ork Dakkajet hangar

Right on the heels of finishing the Thunderfire build, I jumped into my next idea which I've actually had for a long Ork hangar.  The idea was born when I opened up some Asus motherboards at work and saw this nice, clean and perfectly sized corrugated cardboard in them.

The idea is to have a Mek's workshop/Dakkajet hangar as a centerpiece of my (future) gaming table. It's pretty substantial, being on a 12x12" board and fairly high.  There is a lot of room inside and with the removable roof gives lots of gaming options.

Lots of detail work to go, but the basic structure is down and I think it's amazing..just what I wanted!

Anyway, pics.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

"zero-cost" Thunderfire Cannon construction complete!

With not much in the way of family events, and the kids happily playing with new stuff I was able to spend most of my time working on this.

I have so many hours in the tracks alone! Phew!

Anyway it's all built.  I'm *extremely* happy with the overall look, and can't wait to get it painted and on the table. My new job will really interfere with play time, but it's a sacrifice I had to make.

Anyway, pics.  Paint soon!

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Another "zero-cost" Thunderfire Cannon update

Hey hey lots of good progress on the project. The cannon itself and the mount are done, including rivet work. I also have a few new ideas to try out on the tracks...the biggest stumbling block at this point.  I think it's way bigger then the stock kit..but that's ok.

Anyway, pics and Happy Holidays!

Saturday, December 21, 2013

A quick "zero cost" Thunderfire cannon project update

Last 2 days I've been working on the cannon itself. So far, so good but I've been running into one stumbling block after another.  Right now my biggest challenge is the tank treads.

The barrel mount is removable and will probably end up magnetized. Not sure about the barrel itself yet.  Happy with the detail level, but I need to finish the tracks before I can work on the rear stabilization arms.

The width of the barrel with the side pieces is exactly 20mm so that's kinda cool. Going to make a box to fit behind the barrel to extend it out even longer.

Well that's it. A quick update. Several hours of work..most of it staring at tank treads trying to figure something out..

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

More Blood Axe Stormboys

After getting the airbrush work done on the stormboyz, I decided to finish them up.  They go really quick once the camo is on, as there isn't much to paint.

And a group shot of all 10 completed models. The next 5 are already in the LA Totally awesome paint stripper. I might just get these guys done sooner then later.

That's it for now, quick update..on to something else.

Friday, December 13, 2013

Scratch built Techmarine for "zero cost" Thunderfire Cannon project.

Spent a couple hours last night finishing up my techmarine. Still need to finish the base, but the servo-harness is now done.  I think it came out pretty darn well. 

A few rivets finished off the articulated joints and he's ready to go.  I'm very happy with how pretty much everything turned out. Not 100% sold on the gripper claw but I give it a passing grade.

Time to get started on the much more daunting task of the cannon itself. Or take a break to start on the Dakkajet Hangar..

Monday, December 9, 2013

Freebootaz - 40k Radio Toys for Tots auctions are live!!

It's that time again, where finally the auctions for the Toys for Tots charity armies are live!

Toys for Tots auctions

All the models are donated and painted by members of the Freebootaz/40k Radio forums and all the money is donated to the USMCR Toys for Tots organization.

Here is a quick teaser of what's available, 5 auctions from the main 2000pt force to individual tactical squads.  Remember, this is for charity!

Dakkajet #3 complete!

Yep all done. Did not take long at all, but did have to futz around with the varnish due to it being 20F outside.

Just followed the same paint scheme as the previous one, pretty much bit for bit.  I went with the closed cockpit for something different, and turns out I like it a whole lot more anyway.

But pics, then bed..

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Blood Axe Dakkajet #3 work in progress

I've been doing a bunch of stuff last couple of days.  Finally got a chance to get the airbrush work out of the way.  I went with different camo colors then the other two planes, and I'm really liking how it came out.  I have the base done, and the cockpit done.  It's not going to take much to finish this from this stage.

The colors are the same as the stormboyz I did a few months ago.  In fact, I had another set of 5 cleaned and primed, so I went ahead and did them at the same time.

It's in the 20's around here, so getting the varnish on is going to be tough. I'll of course post when it's all done.